"Makeup begins with an inner sense which will lead to the creative transformation of the face to a distinct character."
-

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Vintage



Last weekend, I visited Seattle, Washington's Pike Market. I discovered a small store called "Old Seattle Paperoworks". This unique contains all the antique prints..Old newspaper, vintage magazines, propaganda, ad-clippings, movie posters, etc.
This is a picture of the store from the outside.

As I was flipping through the movie poster, I came across a box full of old art works and photographs of leading females of the vintage times. For instance, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's and Marilyn Monroe in her photo-shoots. The pictures are all so beautiful with a spice of retro-glamour.

This vintage style as seen in the movie posters are known as the Pin-Up Style. Pin ups were pohtographs of celebrities as a form of artwork, often depicting idealized version of women. So you're probably wondering, what does a a pin-up girl look like? Pin-up girls are very sexy, but still had an air of playful innocence: cat eye liner and full red lips. Marilyn Monroe is the icon for


the glamorous pin-up, where as Bettie Page was vampy. In the modern pop culture, the most well known pin-up looks can be seen on Katy Perry in her hit "I Kissed a Girl".



Here's How to Get the Look!Face:

  1. Apply your base as you normally would - foundation and concealer only where you need it and powder to help set it. You'll actually want to use a bit more powder than you normally do, as the classic pin-up face tends to look quite matte.
  2. With a large brush, sweep a natural-hued powder blush (for the classic pin-up face use a rosy-coloured one) onto the apples of the cheeks and sweeping up towards the temples. If your blush is one with shimmer, even better!
  3. Comb your brows up with an eyebrow comb and fill in any sparse bits with a bit of eyebrow powder or pencil. You'll want strong, dramatic eyebrows for this look. Finish by sweeping on some eyebrow gel to set them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this look looks great on some people, very glam :) I went to that market during break last year, it was really cool!

Lil said...

thx for the detailed tips! :D

Sydney Pesclivetch said...

When I go to Seattle I will definitely check out this store; I love vintage! I have never thought of doing my makeup like a pin-up girl, but if I do I'll come back to this post!

Suzy-Q said...

i want to go to Seattle~ i will go and have a look when i go there~

Post a Comment